Friends of the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame is accepting nominations for the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame recognizes the professional and voluntary achievements of LGBT people and their community and civic contributions. This is a unique tribute to dedicated individuals and organizations whose services have improved the society in which we all live. The Hall of Fame is both a historic event and an exhibit that conveys to the residents of Chicago the many contributions of Chicago’s LGBT community to the quality of life in the city. The Hall of Fame is the nation’s only known municipally ssupported effort of its kind.
Induction into the Hall of Fame symbolizes that the recipient has made either a single, far-reaching contribution or significant long-term contributions to the quality of life of Chicago’s LGBT community of the city of Chicago. The Hall of Fame also recognizes “friends of the community” and LGBT organizations and businesses that have made similar contributions to Chicago’s LGBT community.
The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame is privately funded through generous donations from individuals, businesses, and organizations. Staff is provided by volunteers associated with Friends of the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame. The selection of inductees into the Hall of Fame is made by a Selection Committee, composed of persons who are former recipients of the award in the Individual category.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS:
May 28 , 2022. The deadline for 2022 nominations has been extended to Midnight, June 18, 2022.
The nominee must have made either (1) a single far-reaching contribution or (2) significant long-term contributions to the quality of life of Chicago’s LGBT community or of the city of Chicago. Posthumous nominations are encouraged.
- Individual nominees are or have been members of Chicago’s LGBT community.
- Organizational nominees are LGBT organizations (business or nonprofit) that have made single far-reaching or significant long-term contributions to Chicago’s LGBT community or the city of Chicago.
- “Friend of the Community” nominees are non–lesbian-, non–gay-, non–bisexual-, and non–transgender-identified allies and organizations who have made single far-reaching or significant long-term contributions to Chicago’s LGBT community.
THE NOMINEE WILL BE JUDGED ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA, WHICH MUST BE DOCUMENTED IN THE NOMINATION SUPPORTING MATERIALS:
- Their work and/or contribution(s) in one (or more) of the following areas:
- A unique achievement of far-reaching and historical importance having an impact on Chicago’s LGBT community and/or the city of Chicago.
- Outstanding service to the LGBT community.
- Active participation in groups, organizations, and/or coalitions.
- Published works or awards.
NOMINATION SUPPORTING MATERIALS
The Hall of Fame is interested in recognizing individuals and groups from under-represented sectors of the LGBT community. It also encourages applications from individuals who have persevered against cultural and societal norms.
Each nomination MUST include:
- The attached Nomination Data Cover Sheet.
- A separate 200-to-350-word narrative describing the nominee’s contributions, significant accomplishments, and community activities.
- A high-resolution portrait-style photograph. (individuals only)
You may also include appropriate supplemental materials. (They must be limited to five, single-sided pages)
Please provide concrete, specific examples of the nominee’s participation and achievements, and how they qualify the nominee for inclusion in the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame. Please be accurate. All facts, names, and spellings be accurate and specific in order to enhance the nomination’s credibility and to avoid future historical errors. Nomination materials are reviewed on an individual basis. Do not assume that the Selection Committee is familiar with the nominee.
Nomination materials must be received by
May 28, 2022. The deadline for 2022 nominations has been extended to Midnight June 18, 2022. All nominees must agree to accept the nomination. They will be contacted by a representative from the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame.
If nominations are incomplete in any respect, they risk not being forwarded to the Selection Committee. Please refer to the checklist on following page prior to submission.
Nominations may be reconsidered by the Selection Committee for up to three years. Nomination materials will not be returned and will be preserved by the Hall of Fame.
The honorees will be selected by an ad hoc Selection Committee composed of previous Hall of Fame inductees in the Individual category. The newly selected inductees and their nominators will be informed about selection prior to the induction ceremony.
In order to submit a paper nomination package, download the nomination form: click here.
If you have access to all of the information required to make a nomination and wish to do so online, do so here.